As a native Los Angelena, country life has never held much appeal for me. I treasured my childhood in the L.A. foothills, gazing admiringly at the shimmering downtown skyline, soaking up weekend adventures in Santa Monica, Malibu and beyond, and that passion for city life hasn't changed since I moved behind the Orange Curtain three years ago.
That is, until I found Ree.
Ree is my new hero. She's the brilliant authoress of "Confessions of a Pioneer Woman," a favorite blog of my stepmom's. When I saw Heather linked to it as well, I figured, this must be good, so Saturday morning I started perusing her stories.
And now I'm hooked.
My favorite part is "Black Heels to Tractor Wheels," the true-life story of how she, the citified USC graduate on her way to law school in Chicago, was swept off her feet by a bonafide cowboy who ran a working cattle ranch in the Midwest (Oklahoma, I think?).
Be still my heart!
A lifelong sucker for good love stories and meet cutes, I devoured all the installments to date of the saga...
and wouldn't you know, the Dixie Chicks' "Cowboy, Take Me Away" somehow started filling my head... and I yearn forthe open fields near my grandma's cabin near Yellowstone, with cattle ranches and cowboys galore... have the sudden urge to watch John Wayne movies (preferably when he's young)... find myself dreamily whatever happened to Derek, the Texas boy I went out with a couple times freshman year - his Big Plan was to be a doctor, retire young and start a cattle ranch...Dang it, Ree!
Now my cozy, suburbanite South County life just doesn't cut it anymore... and I'm starting to think maybe my parents aren't totally crazy for dreaming of a strawbale house in Bozeman.
But, alas, when I think of the big stories that come out of the newspapers I've picked up in Island Park and the likes... well... if a girl's gotta report, Laguna Beach is pretty much the best beat in the world!
And besides, I couldn't handle the manure. Gross.
2 comments:
Ree rocks...she is teaching me how to use photo-shop, even though I don't even have it.
But when I do get it...I'll be really good! :)
Okay, my aunt has this on her blog too. I may be hooked as well...those apple duplings look amazing!
Post a Comment