Sunday, March 27, 2011

Where in the World Is... Christa Gonna Visit?



As a child, I LOVED "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?"

(Really, what child of the '90s didn't?)

My intense love (borderline obsession) with learning as much as I can about the people and places around the globe has been around as long as memory permits, and this show/game was delicious fuel to the fire. Some of my happiest childhood memories are of playing the game on our Apple ][ (ah, yes, Apple fan for life!), running upstairs to tell my mom the clues I didn't know, racing back down with the correct answer (always marveling at how smart my mom was!), and feeling vicariously like I was jetting around the globe.

Well... that "vicariously" part ends next summer.

See, as yet another part of the Thirty, Flirty and Thriving Initiative, I am bound and determined to get off of the North American continent before hitting the big 3-0. Despite being a travel addict, I've never explored much internationally. Beyond the other side of Niagara Falls and an orphanage in Tijuana, I haven't left my homeland - so, really, I've never even spent a night outside of the good ol' U.S. of A. Granted, that'll change with my big Canada trip this summer, but still - Canada is practically the 51st state. (Just don't tell that to my Canuck cousin-in-law - pretty sure he'd get feisty about me saying that!) I mean, if I can roadtrip there, then it isn't cutting my need for a major international adventure.

So where am I headed, you ask?

Ah, friends. That's where you come in.

I may not have put a passport to use, but I know PLENTY of you have. I run with quite the well-traveled, sophisticated set, if I do say so myself. ;) Seriously, I'm pretty sure every continent is covered among my friends, and I have GOBBLED up reading or hearing of your adventures, wishing it could be me! Backpacking excursions through Europe, missions in India, time spent living in Brazil or Hong Kong or Morocco, hopping around Australia and the isles of the Pacific, study abroads in London, surfing trips in Costa Rica, safaris in Kenya. (Seriously, who ARE you people?!)

So, do tell. Where are your favorite spots? What do you recommend? I'm drawn to Europe, but that's only natural for a European mutt like me with roots in England, Denmark, Ireland, Scotland, the Netherlands, and Bohemia (which is no longer a country, I know - but it sounds way cooler than the Czech Republic, no?). A tour of the Holy Land would be incredible, too, especially with Latter-day Shalom in mind. But maybe something more exotic could hit the spot?

And does anyone want to come with? I'm barely comfortable doing a trip along the Big Sur coastline solo, let alone traipsing around the world...


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, what do you want to do? Do you want classical architecture and relics? Do you want a service vacation?

If you are going in the summer, a lot of southern Europe may be fairly hot and humid, so just keep that in mind (same with many equatorial destinations), but then someplace like London/Ireland would be great weather-wise. India would have monsoon season, so you'd definitely want to avoid it then.

I'd say, go someplace nobody you know has been before. Xtina can tell you all about Australia, Emily and I can tell you all about Europe. Be that one who can tell us all about . :)

Our naturopath up in Washington went on a trip to the Galapagos Islands, you could always trump everybody and do that one. :)

Christa Jeanne said...

Excellent points, Adj. I'm leaning heavily toward England, Ireland, Scotland and France - sure, they might be common and overdone, but at the same time, if I had to pick somewhere I'd want to see before I die, London would top the list, followed closely by Paris. My ancestors come from Scotland and Ireland, hence why they're up there, too. Maybe I'll get more adventurous on my next trip and see New Zealand or something more intriguing like that.

Mishy said...

Ireland. October 2013. It's settled. Will email you soon more details. You MUST come. Start saving now for the trip of your life!

Christa Jeanne said...

So, I think I decided on my big trip!!! It's called a 2008 Civic. :) Pretty sure I'm going nowhere 'til that car's paid off, which will be middle of summer 2012. I'd better stockpile instead of explore the world at that point, since it's going to end at the end of the year anyways.

Just kidding. Maybe I can go somewhere in fall 2012, but it all depends on paying off my new wheels. Ah, life. Always chucking monkeywrenches when you least expect it.