
(And no, that is not me below that umbrella... but wouldn't that be delightful?! I'd gladly cozy up with some dreamy man under my umbrella... ella... ella... hey... hey... hey...)
This morning the heavens have let loose on the parched Southern California soil - it's POURING rain in a way that it hasn't in... well... a looooong time, and it's making me so giddy!
Fall is finally here.
I enjoy summer, don't get me wrong - but oh, how I love fall. There's such a sense of newness and renewal in the "transitional seasons." Autumn is all about the Earth getting ready to settle in for winter; spring is set on revival and vivacity for summer. And while I love spring, fall is just my favorite season of all. Crispy leaves. Warm, rich tones. Cozy sweaters. It seems so down to earth, so much about connecting to the essentials in life. Everyone buckles down and gets to work after summer's levity; then there's the season's own fun in Halloween and Thanksgiving.
It's just plain delightful.
So, the rain. It's adorable when Southern California tries to be all stormy. It's been immensely foggy the last few days - especially in San Clemente - but, well, fog isn't quite rain. Then I saw a flash of thunder on my way to the office, and I had to laugh! It was a singular, measly little stroke of lightning - a pittance compared to the heavens-on-fire lightning storm into which I flew in Arizona (flying into a monsoon was CRAAAAAZY!!!).
But then the rains came tumbling down.
It was like my Altima had been transformed into a percussion instrument! The hard, fervent pounding of the downpour drowned out the sound of my radio, enveloping me in its fury. And what a glorious fury, too. Rain is so cleansing, so purifying - it's as if it's washing away all the silliness of summer in its steady stream.
And here I sit in my cube, staring longingly out the window as the rain continues to drizzle.
What I wouldn't give to be outside, splashing about in the puddles.
*sigh* Such is the life of a grown-up.
3 comments:
It rained here as well, and I'm absolutely thrilled, but it's not raining anymore... We're a little too desert around here. Bummer.
Oh man, I LOVE LOVE LOVE fall. When it's cold enough to pull up all of the blankets, but warm enough to leave the window open to enjoy the crisp air.
It only rained for about 5 minutes here, but it's cloudy and gloomy. I love gloomy. :) BUT, it always makes me want to cuddle up on the couch with a blanket and watch a movie.
I love fall too! The mountains are changing colors now! It's SOOOO beautiful!!! And the air is crisp in the morning. I am wishing it were a little cooler durring the day, but heck, as long as it's not snowing I'm happy!
Post a Comment