Chief among these is my job. I just got home from our company part, and it as soooooo fun!!! I've never had a job before where I enjoyed my colleagues this much. I've always had close friends at work, but never in such numbers! We just have a blast. I look forward to work every morning, getting to spend the day with my marketing crew. Company functions were always a necessary evening of awkwardness before, but tonight was the highlight of the weekend! I ended up at a table with a bunch of my favorite work friends. It was funny to reminisce back to last year, when my friend Aaron and I were both new - we entered last year's party at the same time, as his girlfriend and I remembered, but back then, I don't think we'd even had a conversation! Now we're good friends, and it's like that with every single person in my department - even the new guy (who, randomly enough, I went to middle school with in Utah 15 years ago. We didn't know each other but have mutual friends. Small, small world!!!).
Anyways, we dined in the barn at Thanksgiving Point and then enjoyed a Jon Schmidt concert. If you are unfamiliar with the awesomeness of Jon Schmidt, behold.
Yeah. Saw that live. Soooo awesome!
Honestly, it is a treasure to have a job you love. After having a string of difficult employment situations in California, where no job ever fit just right and where I survived at least a dozen rounds of layoffs amid a few companies in five years - I will never, ever take for granted being in a secure company (which has never had a layoff) at the top of its industry which prizes its employees so highly. It is such a delight! That company culture, which really does emanate from our incredible CEO, makes me want to innovate and excel and work hard - and they give me the freedom to do so! I've really pioneered our social media effort, and it's been fun to watch the executive attitude shift from reticence and wariness to enthusiasm. I've gotten to broaden the scope of what we do, and we're really taking off! Our LinkedIn group is past 140 members now, and our Twitter account has well over 100 followers now - gaining 10 last week alone. To think, I got to start those up from scratch! Our CEO has a blog that's really making headway, and apparently it was my idea? (They claim I suggested it in my interview. I did that interview with pneumonia, so it's totally fuzzy. I'm still shocked that I managed to get the job, lol. One of my worst interviews ever!).
And I hope that doesn't come off as braggy, 'cause that's not at all how I mean it. I just am brimming over with enthusiasm and wanted to share it. I am just so danged happy, guys! (*knock on wood that something doesn't go wrong!*) I feel immensely blessed. Great job, great home situation, sharing a darling townhouse with two wonderful friends who are so chill. There is NO drama in our home. None. We all get along, everyone pitches in, and it's smooth sailing. Christina and I started decorating for Christmas today, sharing Christmas traditions while we strung the lighted boughs along the banister. It's just delightful.
I'm also so blessed with opportunities to always be doing new stuff, stretching beyond the norm, whether it's doing my Latter-day Shalom blog or trying to pick up running. (Trying being the operative word, lol!) In the last 18 months I've set foot in 17 states plus DC, finished a 5K (don't ask my time. You really don't want to know. But I did it!), sung and danced in two musicals, campaigned for a congressional candidate I believed in, expanded my culinary horizons by cooking more new recipes than I've ever dared before. My life is so amazing.
And, boy, it's taken a while to get to that stride! 2009 into 2010 was hard. I lost my job. FIRED. From a job I hated anyways. How humiliating! And to come down with pneumonia at the same time. Talk about insult to injury! And then moving to Utah in the midst of all that? Utah?! I felt so ashamed that I was moving back here and not to some glamorous, exciting locale. And yet, my life here is infinitely better than it was in Orange County. The dust of my bizarre rollercoaster life started to settle almost a year after the craziness began, and now I finally have my stride and sure footing, and it's wonderful. Even my long-strained relationship with my mother is getting resolution. She wants to be part of my life for the first time in well over a decade, and she apologized for the first time that I remember for past wrongs. That's what I needed, and now I'm able to let go of stuff that's weighed me down my entire life. It's just unbelievable!!! Everything - EVERYTHING - is so, so good!!!
And that was long and rambly, but thanks for letting me pour my grateful heart out. I really would be so remiss if I didn't thank my Heavenly Father for this charmed life I've got right now, because I know none of this awesomeness is due to anything I've done. How thankful I am for His watchful care in my life. And it is so nice to know that there is balance in life - that those terribly difficult times can be followed by some of the best times to be had. Just keep swimming!
No comments:
Post a Comment