
Wow, am I just a blogging maniac today or what?!
Unlike my earlier goofy posts, however, I want to share with you something near and dear to my heart.
In all the rush of life these days, I nearly forgot what an important date today is in my life!
It was 13 years ago - Oct. 29, 1995 - that I entered the waters of baptism in Provo, Utah, and became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
And my life changed forever.
What I believe
Being a Latter-day Saint is more than attending church on Sunday. It means being a disciple of Jesus Christ, following His teachings in every facet of your daily life. It means accepting the gift of Christ's Atonement in your life, having the faith that through His blood, you can become perfect - not in the sense we usually think, but in the sense of the Greek word teleois, meaning whole, or complete.
It means understanding who you are in an eternal sense, knowing that your life is not just what you see day by day, but rather that this mortal part of life is just the second act of a three-act play. We lived before we were born, and when we die, it's not the end - our lives are eternal. This "second act," so to speak, serves as a final exam of sorts, where we're tested through opposition and trials as well as through opportunities to serve, to love, to learn, and to grow, with the ultimate goal of a post-mortal return to our loving Heavenly Father, having lived according to His commandments so that at the judgment seat He can say "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."
And yet, despite the eye toward the eternal, the gospel of Jesus Christ teaches us to have the best life possible, building and maintaining a relationship with God throughout our daily lives that empowers us with help from on high. As we walk with God, we're able to not only receive help from Him, but our eyes also become open to how we can help others around us, to become His hands in blessing His children, whether it be bringing dinner to a friend or speaking an encouraging word to someone in need.
The gospel of Jesus Christ is the foundation of my life.
How I came to believe it
When you're LDS, a common getting-to-know-you question is "Were you born into the Church, or are you a convert?"
I am an anomaly, because I'm both!
My mother was baptized when she was in high school, and two years later, she met and married my dad, a lifelong Latter-day Saint whose lineage in the faith goes back to the Church's earliest days (possibly to the New York days - definitely by the time they reached Ohio).
By the time I came along three years later, however, my mother's faith began to wane. I can speculate 'til the cows come home as to why; she'll be the only one who really knows the reason. Nevertheless, my dad remained true to his faith, toting two tots to church every Sunday, without fail. Growing up, my brother and I would often go to church twice - once with Dad, and once with Mom to whatever church was the flavor of the week.
Usually LDS kids get baptized when they're 8 years old, but Mom balked at the idea, so when my dad moved to Utah after their divorce to finally go to college, my brother and I had nothing to do with the LDS Church for a couple of years - and, in fact, we got really involved with the church to which my mom still belongs. Nice people, that bunch!
Funny, though, how coincidences come along in our lives. Well, some call them coincidences - others refer to them as "tender mercies," small ways in which God's hand is in our lives if we but have the eyes to see it.
My seventh-grade year rolled around, and, lo and behold, I became friends with a couple of LDS kids at school: Eric J. and Amber M. They probably didn't know they were missionaries in the making at the time, but their presence in my life put the LDS Church back on my radar - a point that proved essential shortly thereafter.
I spent the following summer in Utah with Dad and his new bride, Betsy. While there, I attended church - including a weeklong camp for the 12-18-year-old girls. I groaned about going, since I'd be the only non-LDS girl there, but going to Girl's Camp changed my life. I can't pinpoint what it was, but something about the discussions of faith and "experimenting upon the Word of God" pricked my heart.
Back to California I went, with a Book of Mormon in hand from my father - a gift that did not make my mom happy, to say the least! She threatened to throw the book away; I hid it between my mattress and box springs for safekeeping. For two weeks or so I pleaded with my mom to let me go to the LDS Church. She finally relented, and I went to the La Crescenta ward with my stepmom's brother's family - the first time I'd been to the LDS Church in California in years.
Well, between wanting to be LDS and being done with living with my mother, I moved to Utah within a month, along with my brother. Shortly thereafter my brother and I met with the missionaries to receive the "discussions" - lessons that teach the essentials of the gospel to those interested in joining the church. And interested I was!
And so, 13 years ago today, my brother and I were baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My brother didn't stay involved with the Church for too long afterward, but for me, it's been a fundamental part of who I am ever since. My days in Utah were numbered that year, and I returned to live with my mom for high school - a situation that was pretty difficult, but I was blessed to have an AMAZING support system, thanks to the people in my congregation, or ward. Rebecca, Tabitha, Haas, Chanson, Brandon, Kaylynn, Margaret, Amber, etc. and your families - to you guys I owe so much! Thanks for the positive peer influence. I'll forever be grateful for it.
So... that's my story. It's been an interesting 13 years, filled with ups and downs - but I have no doubt that my life has been greatly benefitted by my faith. I am so, so grateful to have Jesus Christ and His teachings and His church in my life, and I would encourage any and all to seek this blessing in their lives.
It was the best decision I've ever made, and I promise that it will bring peace and joy into your life, too.
3 comments:
What a beautiful post Christa. You have a lot of heart.
Even though I've heard your story several times, it doesn't get old! I love it. And I love, too, that even if one is born in the Church, the answer can still be "both" to the convert/born-in-the-church question, since we have conversion moments at so many different times.
Thanks for sharing your testimony!
You have such a beatiful and mature testimony. You have always been a great example of faith and perserverence. Thanks for being who you are Christa :)
Post a Comment