For some reason, God works through flawed men. I think this has something to do with the fact that there is no one else to choose from.
How simple, yet how profound. I'm reading C.S. Lewis's The Screwtape Letters, and it's fascinating to get into a devil's mind and see how their team exploits our inherent human weaknesses to isolate us - from each other and from God. One of Satan's best tactics is to get us to focus on the mortal shortcomings of others and judge or condemn them for it while simultaneously turning a blind eye to our own flaws. Goodness knows I do this myself far more than I'd like to admit (although at least I'm more aware and stop myself more these days).
It's so natural to want everyone to think the best of us and to give us the benefit of the doubt - how much do we extend that courtesy to others? How often do we focus on all the amazing things that person does (which, in all likelihood, would outweigh the negatives)? Or we focus on what differentiates ourselves from others instead of what unites us?
Three of my favorite, favorite gals in the ward sit down each Sunday for a weekly gossip fest - but in this household, the gossip involves how AWESOME everyone is!!! Instead of nitpicking, they have a compliment-fest, and everyone involved is uplifted. It creates nothing but positivity - and, in effect, unity, which is essential in the body of Christ (and I mean all believers, regardless of denomination). We're so much more effective in accomplishing the task at hand when we put ourselves aside and focus on the service that needs rendering.
I'm just about as non-sporty as they come, but I sing - and being in a choir requires the same kind of united effort and focus as a sports team does. It's an interesting situation to be in OCMCO, because there is a LOT of talent in that room when we gather!!! There are some world-class, professional-quality voices in there, and then there are those like me with little to no training but a good voice and a love of music. Singers can be an egotistical bunch - the more you sing, the easier it gets to nitpick people's vocal quality and tone and accuracy in hitting the notes. However, early on, the directors bluntly told us collectively to check any and all egos at the door- when we're together, we're there to sing unitedly and not to criticize or critique. We're a choir, not a bunch of individual singers. And can I tell you what? I enjoy it much, much more than singing a solo. When I sing a solo, my focus is more on me - how I'm sounding, what others are thinking about me. Ick. What a waste of energy! It's much more fun to contribute to the awesomeness of the group, to feel a part of a collaboration.
Taking that principle and extrapolating it, how fun is life when we're all united in pushing toward building the kingdom of God with an eye single to that focus, forgetting self and getting to work? I know that's when I'm the happiest. We're all imperfect people, and yet somehow God can still use us, warts and all, to make amazing things happen. It's pretty amazing when you think about it.
4 comments:
Fabulous quote.
And I love the Screwtape Letters.
And you.
I'm also completely unathletic. I once had a guy (RM and everything) tell me the greatest thing he'd ever done in his life was varsity sports. If ever I write LDS nonfiction, it will be on why that line of thinking is evil.
The heart of sporting is competition. I believe the heart of competition is opposition, enmity and enmity (cough cough PRIDE).
Team sports can sometimes bring a sense of unity among one team. I think this sense of unity is what makes people think that competition is a worthy object, because ultimately we are supposed to be one.
However, I really like the example you give here of unity completely devoid of competition. And making music together can be so much more powerful than singing alone!
(Note: I don't believe it's possible to "compete against yourself," though it's always possible to strive to better yourself. And I will stop short of saying sports are of the devil ;) .)
*The second enmity was supposed to be contention.
Well said, Christa!
Post a Comment