While I adore technology and its plethora of communicative channels, they should not be used to tell big news. Don't leave a voicemail that someone died, for instance, or email your child to announce that you have/had cancer.
Seriously.
Common sense? Are you still out there? Sometimes I wonder...
3 comments:
I hope everything is ok!
Oh, it's fine. The content isn't so much problematic as the delivery: "I WAS going to tell you something important when on the phone last night, but because you were driving, it wasn't the right time - so I'll just email it to you in an annoyed fashion at the beginning of your work day. 'Cause that'll be less distracting. Oh, and I'll tell you it's WORSE than it really is right off the bat, so my second email can be along the lines of 'well, it's not actually a big deal...'" Honestly. Drives me nuts.
It's completely ridiculous. I'm so grateful to my management communications teacher who emphatically drilled it into our heads that anything very emotionally based should never be sent in electronic/digital form--it should be on the phone or in person. One girl in the class had recently been broken up with via text (and this was Jan 2006, back before texting was as prevalent as it is now) and it was just horrible! This is all part of why I'm as anti-texting as I am--we're losing all sense of what's appropriate in communication because it's "so much easier" to text. Guess what? Relationships aren't about ease and convenience. At least, the good ones aren't. [/rant]
Post a Comment