Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What the pho?!


Well, as mentioned earlier, my stomach has decided to go funky-monkey on me, which leaves me with the paradoxical feeling of being simultaneously starving and queasy.

So, tonight, I was seriously craving some matzo ball soup - "Jewish penicillin," as my friend Amanda called it.

But, alas, seeing as I live in southern Orange County and not Manhattan, there were no good delis to be found.

There are plenty of other ethnic options around here, though - including the ever-comforting Vietnamese soup, pho (pronounced "fuh").

Ah, pho.

Pho has been one of my favorite eats since Kimball introduced me to its noodle soupey goodness a few years ago. I must have journeyed to Pho 99 almost weekly for the first two years of my career - heck, while out cold with pneumonia, I hopped in my car and drove the 20 minutes to pick up a bowl of that steamy goodness (not one of my wisest moves, but man, when you need pho, you just need pho!).

But it's been at least six months of so since my last bowl, so tonight I ventured over to Pho 99 once more to get some pho to go.

And I realized that some of you may be missing out on this culinary delight, so I decided to blog it up!

Pho consists of vermicelli noodles in a hearty broth, along with cilantro, basil, lime, bean sprouts, onion and whatever kind of meat you choose (chicken for me tonight). Usually I'll toss in some jalapenos and chili sauce, but, uh, that would defeat the easy-on-the-stomach purpose.

Tonight's bowl was only so-so. It needed the spicy kick for my tastes, but, well, what can you do?

If you get the chance to curl up with some pho, do it! You won't regret it!
And, I'm happy to report, so far, so good for my stomach. I wonder if it could handle a couple peppermint JoJos or some leftover cheesecake... or if that would just be pushing my luck.

Meanwhile, I'm going to conduct a search of South County for some decent matzo ball soup. If you have any leads, I'm all ears...

2 comments:

chris said...

Jerry's Famous Deli @ South Coast Plaza.

Met yer matzo on.

Christa Jeanne said...

Jerry's is soooo far, though! I heard about a little place called Kosher Bite in Laguna Hills, at Moulton and Ridge Route, that's supposed to be pretty good. Only problem is, they're only open 9-5 during the week (which would be when I'm working) and closed on Saturday. It's a bit of a drive for a lunch break, but I just might have to attempt it...